Instructor: William Roberts, RN, BSN, Ed.D
Times: Any – 24/7
Course Credits: EC3
Required Materials: Microbiology An Introduction with access 12th ed. by Tortora, Funke and Case.
Course Description: This course will cover content generally taught in a one semester course of Microbiology at the undergraduate level and prepares you to take the Excelsior College Microbiology exam. This course measures your knowledge and overall understanding of bacteria, algae, fungi, protozoa and viruses. You will also explore the relationship of each group to humans and be expected to synthesize how each interacts with the human body. A basic understanding of chemistry and anatomy and physiology or biology is both assumed and required.
- Explain the basic concepts of microbiology and its historical development.
- Describe microbial laboratory techniques.
- Identify and describe the anatomy, growth and nutrition, metabolism and genetics of microorganisms.
- Summarize principles of microbial control.
- Identify and describe diseases, resistance to diseases and the role of the immune system.
- Explain the biology of infectious diseases.
- Compare and contrast environmental, food and industrial microbiology.
Format of the Course: The course is broken down into modules covering related material. There are 1-2 chapters in each module.
- Each chapter consists of a matching activity worth 10% of your grade overall.
- Each chapter contains a post-test worth 40% of your grade overall.
- There are four quarter exams which cover multiple chapters worth 25% of your grade overall.
- There is one cumulative final exam which covers all material in the course worth 25% of your overall grade.
Course Evaluation & Grading: This test preparation course is designed to prepare you for the Excelsior College Microbiology exam. After each assessment within the course, you will be given feedback regarding your progress. Use the following as your guide to gauge your readiness to take the actual for-credit exam.
|Score||Interpretation and Gauge|
|90 – 100%||You are well-prepared for the actual for-credit exam.|
|80 – 89%||You are prepared for the exam but further review / study would guarantee success.|
|70 – 79%||You are minimally prepared for this exam. Further review / study is highly recommended to ensure your success on the for-credit exam.|
|60 – 69%||You are below minimally passing requirements. Significant further review / study is required to ensure success on the for-credit exam.|
|59% or less||Unacceptable work. Significant further review / study is required to ensure success on the for-credit exam.|
Attendance Policy: This course is self-paced, however we recommend completing it within 16 weeks or less. There is no specific time requirement for how many times you log in or how much time you spend in the course. However, the more time you spend in the course working through the materials and studying, the better you will do on the actual for-credit exam with Excelsior College. We strongly recommend logging in at least 3 days per week. Take full advantage of this course!
Please be sure to take the Microbiology exam within a month of completing this course while the material is fresh in your mind!