Anatomy and Physiology Syllabus Copy
Instructor: William Roberts, RN, BSN, Ed.D
Times: Any – 24/7
Course Credits: EC6
Required Materials: Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology with access 10th ed. by Frederic Martini, Judi Nath and Edwin Bartholomew. ISBN13: 9780321908599
Course Description: This course will cover content generally taught in two semesters of Anatomy and Physiology at the undergraduate level and prepares you to take the Excelsior College Anatomy and Physiology exam. This course covers the integrative mechanisms that contribute to the overall functioning of the human body. All major body systems will be covered. Topics include levels of organization, support and movement, control and regulation, fluids and transport, environmental exchange, and continuity of life. A basic understanding of biology is assumed.
- Identify and describe concepts of Anatomy and Physiology and the organizational scheme and standard terminology of the human body.
- Discuss the major chemical constituents of the body, chemical reactions and the equilibrium state.
- Identify and describe the supporting tissue, skeletal system, muscle tissue and tissue physiology.
- Describe the nervous system, endocrine system, histological and functional classification of general and special sensory receptors and structure and function of each special sense organ.
- Outline the circulatory, respiratory, digestive and urinary systems and mechanisms of metabolism.
- Explain fluid compartments and acid base balance.
- Identify and describe the function of the human reproductive system and its principal components; explain prenatal development and the process of labor and delivery.
Format of the Course: The course is broken down into modules covering related material. There are 1-2 chapters in each module.
- Each chapter consists of a matching activity worth 10% of your grade overall.
- Each chapter contains a post-test worth 40% of your grade overall.
- There are four quarter exams which cover multiple chapters worth 25% of your grade overall.
- There is one cumulative final exam which covers all material in the course worth 25% of your overall grade.
Course Evaluation & Grading: This test preparation course is designed to prepare you for the Excelsior College Anatomy and Physiology exam. After each assessment within the course, you will be given feedback regarding your progress. Use the following as your guide to gauge your readiness to take the actual for-credit exam.
|Score||Interpretation and Gauge|
|90 – 100%||You are well-prepared for the actual for-credit exam.|
|80 – 89%||You are prepared for the exam but further review / study would guarantee success.|
|70 – 79%||You are minimally prepared for this exam. Further review / study is highly recommended to ensure your success on the for-credit exam.|
|60 – 69%||You are below minimally passing requirements. Significant further review / study is required to ensure success on the for-credit exam.|
|59% or less||Unacceptable work. Significant further review / study is required to ensure success on the for-credit exam.|
Attendance Policy: This course is self-paced, however we recommend completing it within 16 weeks or less. There is no specific time requirement for how many times you log in or how much time you spend in the course. However, the more time you spend in the course working through the materials and studying, the better you will do on the actual for-credit exam with Excelsior College. We strongly recommend logging in at least 3 days per week. Take full advantage of this course!
Please be sure to take the Anatomy and Physiology exam within a month of completing this course while the material is fresh in your mind!